Honey Crisp Apple and Hazelnut Frangipane Tart with Rosemary Crust
Tart Shell Dough:
2 ½ cups All purpose flour
2 sticks/ 8oz of chilled unsalted butter
½ cup ice water
1 Tbsp sugar
1 ½ tsp salt
1 Tbsp chopped fresh rosemary
1 cup toasted hazelnuts finely ground
1 cup sugar
4 tablespoons unsalted butter (room temperature)
1 Tbsp Frangelico, Rum, or Vanilla extract
Pinch of salt
3 - 4 crisp apples
1) Method for Tart Shell:
2) Combine water and egg and set aside.
3) Combine rest of ingredients in a food processor or large mixing bowl until butter is the size of small peas. Add ½ the egg and water mixture at a time until fully incorporated. Flatten into a disc, wrap and chill for a minimum of 2 hours.
4) Method for Frangipane:
5) Combine all ingredients until mixed fully, cover and refrigerate until needed.
6) Roll chilled tart dough out until it is approximately 1/8 of an inch in thickness. Cut dough into circles that are ½ inch larger than the tart shells. Line shells with the dough and place 1tbsp of the frangipane mixture into shell, spread evenly.
7) Peel, core, and slice ¼ inch slices of apple and arrange onto the frangipane. Sprinkle with raw sugar, and chill for ½ an hour before baking.
8) Arrange tart shells on a baking sheet and bake in oven at 425 degrees for about 35 minutes, rotating baking sheet ½ way through for even baking.
9) Let tarts cool for ½ an hour before unmolding.
10) Serve with complementary ice cream or soft whipped cream.